There are 26 National Panhellenic Sororities, and all of them have pride and history in their badge symbols. This is Part 3 of a series of NPC sorority badge history in honor of national badge day that is celebrated in the month of March. Check here for Part 1 and Part 2 if you missed them!
“The earliest badge design was what is now used as our new member pin. In 1894, the triangle badge was chosen. Jeweled badges were approved at the 1915 convention when the pearl was adopted as our national jewel. Unjeweled badges have a scroll edge.” –Sigmakappa.org
>Alpha Omicron Pi
“The badge of Alpha Omicron Pi is composed of the three initial letters of the three words of our Motto, superimposed one upon the next in order, which gives the Fraternity its name.”-Alphaomicronpi.org
>Zeta Tau Alpha
” The badge of the Fraternity is a small, black, enameled shield super-imposed upon a gold shield, bearing a five pointed crown with the letters ZTA arranged around it, and below it the word “Themis” in Greek.” –Zetataualpha.org
>Alpha Gamma Delta
“In 1904 five organizational meetings were held in May during which the name and first Badge design were selected.
Official Founding: May 30. Badges worn for the first time; colors of red, buff and green chosen; first Fraternity song presented and sung. The Epsilon Pi motto, a pledge pin design and the present Badge design were adopted.” –AGD History
>Alpha Delta Pi
“The first diamond-shaped badge was worn by the Adelpheans in 1852. Stars were not included on this first badge, but it did have a monogram of the Wesleyan pin attached to the badge by a link chain, thus forming a guard.
In 1854, the stars were added, but it was not until 1874 that the stars and the clasped hands were raised. This design remained with only slight modifications until 1906 when, at Alpha Delta Pi’s first convention, Nanaline King presented a new design for the pin. Her design was a smaller gold badge with a black enamel center which pictured the clasped hands, the two stars, and the greek letters, Alpha Delta Phi. This design was adopted by the convention and is the same pin we have today, with Alpha Delta Phi being changed to Alpha Delta Pi at the 1913 convention.” -Alphadeltapi.org
“It shall be the Roman lamp in gold, resting upon an Ionic column and having upon each side three wings of Mercury. The official jeweling shall be a diamond in the flame, and four pearls at the base of the lamp. The lamp shall bear the Greek letters ΔΖ in black enamel. Article XVI, Section 1.
From our founding to the present, the design of our badge has changed very little. This is a direct tie to our Founders as they had the general idea for the badge but the design is credited to a Miami art student, Arthur Bairnsfather, who was a friend of Alfa Lloyd.” –Deltazeta.org
“The Phi Mu Badge is a uniquely shaped shield of gold overlaid with a black shield bearing the two bonds, three stars, a hand clasping a heart and the Greek letters ‘Phi Mu.'” –Phimu.org